Both certified mail & registered mail are the additional services. People often get confused between these two services. Read the information below to know the difference between Certified Mail & Registered Mail.
Let’s understand what these services are and then understand the differences between the two;
Certified mail is a mail service that provides the sender proof of billing and delivery, with a copy of the recipient’s signature upon delivery.
Certified Mail provides a confirmation to the sender that a package has reached the destination. The sender gets a proof in the form of a return receipt which includes a signature of the recipient. People use certified mail service to send their important, legal or any confidential mail packages. The sender receives a mailing receipt after a recipient signs an envelope or package. The sender may also receive a copy of the recipient’s signature by purchasing return receipt service.
Registered Mail provides detailed records of the letter, packet, or other document’s location as it is transferred from one location to another. A user can track his shipment online by using the barcode registration labels. Registered Mail offers additional security and protection including transport via locked cages, safes or sealed containers, and a chain of custody with electronic or physical signatures at USPS facilities at each stage of the delivery. Users can purchase insurance coverage up to $25,000 based on the value of the item you mail.
Certified Mail vs Registered Mail
Here are the differences between the certified mail & registered mail.
- Certified mail is a paid mail service where the sender receives a copy of the recipient’s signature upon his receipt of the mail, while registered mail is also an additional paid mail service which provides the sender a receipt and detailed records of his mail’s location.
- In certified mail service, the sender will receive a return receipt which ensures that the mail has reached the recipient while in registered mail service, users can track the mail online, as every time the mail changes hands, it is logged.
- Both the mail services are paid. However, the registered mail costs more.
- A certified mail can be sent together or along with the regular mail, while a registered mail can be sent separately only.
- A registered mail is more secure than certified mail and that’s why people prefer registered mail when it is required to send important documents and confidential packages.
- A Registered mail is insured, while you have to pay an additional amount to ensure certified mail.
These are the differences between the two services. Learn more about these services more;