If you are using USPS services to send & receive mail items or packages then you might be receiving a lot of mail packages to your mail address. Now it happens usually when we receive a junk mail or a mail which doesn’t belong to us or maybe a mail which belongs to the previous resident. If any of the situations is happening to you then there is something you need to or can do.
You can either keep on receiving these mail items and have a pile of mail items which doesn’t belong to you or either you can return mail back to the sender by using the service called USPS Parcel Return Service. First, you need to figure out the type of mail piece and then start the process of returning the mail back to the sender. Here is how to return a mail item to the sender;
Easiest Way to Return a Mail Package to Sender
USPS offers a service through which one can easily return the mail items to the sender. Here is what you need to do, grab the information form below to know how to return a mail item to the sender.
Follow the steps provided below;
- Firstly, you need to collect all the mail items which don’t belong to you or which you want to return.
- Second, you should not open any mail item. This is the most important thing that “Don’t open the envelope or mail item” if it doesn’t belong to you or you want to return to the sender.
- Write “Return to Sender” on Mail Item or Envelope in clear bold letters. If you know that this address belongs to someone who was a resident at your current address then you can write “No Longer at this Address, Return to Sender.”
- You can write “Addressee Moved” or “Wrong Address” to let the sender know that the person has moved to a new address in order to avoid the mail items from the same sender. You can also add a note with the item or write the reason to the person who sent the mail.
- You should cross your address to let postal workers understand the mail item or envelope doesn’t belong to you and should not to be delivered again to you.
- Now it’s time to drop the mail item or envelope in the mailbox, the letter carrier will take the envelope back to the post office and start the process of sending the mail item back to the sender. You can also take the envelope to the post office to start the return process.
How Much USPS Parcel Return Costs?
There is no cost as such as the letter carrier will pick the parcel from the mailbox and return it to the sender if “Return to Sender” is written on it, but in case, if you have opened the mail item or signed to receive the mail then you will have to put it in a new package or envelope and pay for the postage. The cost of the postage will be the cost of returning the package.
That’s why it’s recommended to never open & sign for a package which doesn’t belong to you.
How to Stop Receiving Junk Mail or Someone Else Mail/Parcels?
If you are receiving a lot of junk mail or items which don’t belong to you or packages belong to the previous resident then here are few things you can do in order to stop receiving such mail;
- Inform your letter carrier about this issue by writing a note to the post office. You can also write “Leave Mail Only for (your name)” on the mailbox so that letter carrier will only deliver the mail items on which your name is written.
- You can also visit your nearest local post office to file a change of address form for each name. You can also do this online if you know the new forwarding address.
- You can also write a serious note to the sender and post office to ask them to stop sending you someone else mail and packages.
Also note that, if there is no return address on the envelope or mail item, then return the item back to the post office and the USPS will hold those items for 15 days and then all those items will be sent to the Dead Mail Office.
Whenever you receive an unsolicited mail or junk mail or mail addressed to someone else then you can return a package back to the sender. It’s better to return a mail item than to destroy it. Read the information above to know how to successfully return a mail item/ envelope back to the sender.