People around the world use postal services to send each other cards, gifts, letters, and other important packages. In today’s time where technology is on its growing peak and one can send greetings & letters through the internet still people use postal services for most of their mail. USPS i.e. United States Postal Service provides many postal services which can be used by people to send & receive their mail items. The most commonly used mail services are regular mail, certified mail, or registered mail. Through this post, we’re going to discuss registered mail only.
All the queries related to USPS registered mail such as what it is, how to prepare or send it, how much does it cost, International registered mail, who can send it etc are answered here. Read the information below to know about registered mail in details.
What is USPS Registered Mail?
USPS offers a service called registered mail which provides extra or additional protection to the important letter & packages. In case, if you’re sending any confidential or crucial letter which needs an additional security then avails registered mail service in order to ensure that your letter is secure. People use registered mail service to send their important letters or packages which are classified.
Registered mail is a mail service which is offered by USPS that provides detailed records of the letter, packet, or other document’s location as it is transferred from one location to another. A user can track his shipment online by using the barcode registration labels.
This service is an additional mail service for users who need the end to end safety. A mail item goes through a long transit process before it reaches the destination. The transit process starts when you drop off your package at, until the final destination of the delivery. Users can insure their mail items as well in case of loss, theft, or damage. This service is a bit expensive as it is used to send valuables and important documents It is more secure than other types of mail. It is also insured for up to $25,000.00. Registered Mail items can be insured for up to $50,000 at your Post Office
How to Prepare Registered Mail?
Get maximum security for your valuable items. Registered Mail items can be insured for up to $50,000 at your Post Office.
- Purchase at your Post Office or through your Rural Carrier.
- Regardless of how purchased, present Registered Mail items for mailing to a Postal employee.
- Receive a mailing receipt, and upon request, electronic verification that an article was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made.
USPS Registered Mail is used for high-value Domestic mailpieces. This secure USPS service offers insurance up to $25,000. Registered Mail also provides tracking information as well as Proof of Mailing and Delivery.
Certified Mail vs Registered Mail
People often get confused between Registered Mail and Certified Mail. Both the services are very useful but different from the other. Here is the key difference between the two.
- Certified mail is a paid mail service where the sender receives a copy of the recipient’s signature upon his receipt of the mail, while registered mail is also an additional paid mail service which provides the sender a receipt and detailed records of his mail’s location.
- In certified mail service, the sender will receive a return receipt which ensures that the mail has reached the recipient while in registered mail service, users can track the mail online, as every time the mail changes hands, it is logged.
- Both the mail services are paid. However, the registered mail costs more.
- A certified mail can be sent together or along with the regular mail, while a registered mail can be sent separately only.
- A registered mail is more secure than certified mail and that’s why people prefer registered mail when it is required to send important documents and confidential packages.
- A Registered mail is insured, while you have to pay an additional amount to ensure certified mail.
Now you know the difference between the two services. Learn more about Certified Mail here: read a complete guide on Certified Mail
What is the Cost of Registered Mail?
The cost of registered mail depends on the declared value of the shipment. You need to declare the expected value of your shipment before submitting it to the USPS. The final cost of registered mail will be calculated by considering the declared value of the shipment. Prices begin at $11.90
Why use Registered Mail Service?
People who want to secure their packages more or want to add an additional security for their packages can use registered mail as an add-on service. This is one way to secure the mail packages. The registered mails are protected in sealed containers, safes and cages, and held under lock and key. One for this service if you package or the mail needs an extra security and time limit is not a problem for you.
Registered Mail Service can be used with the following Mail Classes;
- First-Class Mail
- Priority Mail
- Return Receipt
- USPS Tracking (packages only)
- Restricted Delivery
- Signature Confirmation (packages only).
Registered Mail Receipt:
A PS From 3806 is used as the receipt for registered mail. Below you can see the front and back side of PS Form 3806.
PS Form 3806 Front Side:
PS Form 3806 Back Side:
USPS International Registered Mail
The registered mail service is also available for International customers. People around the world can use this service to send their important mail packages with an end to end security. This service is one way to ensure that your important or confidential mail package will be delivered in the most secure manner.
You need to first contact the post office in order to find out which packages you can send internationally with registered mail service. The International registered parcel is available for First–Class Mail International and First–Class Package International Service.
Here is the cost for international registered mail;
- First-Class Mail International service: $14.95
- First-Class Package International Service: $14.95
A registered mail is an additional paid mail service which is beneficial when it comes to sending important mail items or packages which contains confidential information. Secure your packages more with the help of registered mail service. Here we have covered all the queries related to registered mail. If you still have any query then check out the official FAQ’s page of USPS.
Keep checking USPS Guide for more important information about USPS and other important shipping services.